Beginning a new school experience is a process, rather than only a first day. Each year I watch the fresh faces of the new group of children come in the doors, down the steps, through the halls, and into their classes. The beginning is familiar but uplifting for all of us adults in that a new set of little children have stepped out to begin preschool, an experience that is uniquely their own. Thank you for beginning your child’s preschool at Ourday.
One of the goals we have early in the year, is for the children to enjoy the October trips in the outdoors. It is important to preserve green space, parks, farms and places where our children can experience the natural world. For some children the outdoors is their most important intelligence and for all the children the natural world offers space to be active and learning about the science in our environment. Every day is an opportunity for parents to be sure their children experience the outdoors. At Ourday we will soon go to outdoor camp in Heritage Park and later in the month to Bittersweet Farm where we can learn how plants grow, find pumpkins, and see the little animals that live on the family farm.
Charity Monroe, Director
- October 4 & 5 - Camp Days - Heritage Park
- October 9 - 12 - Bittersweet Farm Days
- October 20 - No School
- October30 & 31 - Halloween Parade
Welcome new families!
Ourday offer preschool classes for children 2.6 to 5 years of age. Most children come two or three mornings per week. We have two teachers in every classroom of 10-14 children. One of the special things about Ourday Preschool is our four hour morning program. In addition to their classroom experiences, the children have music, gym, and art classes. We would welcome the opportunity to meet you and show you our preschool. We currently only have openings for our Friday Mom's Day Out class. If you are interested in more information about that class please contact us at 614-882-4416.
Drop off and Pick Up
Ourday Preschool is pleased to provide Drop-Off and Pick Up service to assist parents and to encourage independence in the children. We will help the children out of their cars at the back door and guide them to their classrooms. This year, Drop Off and Pick Up will begin on Monday, September 25. Here is some information to help you get started:
IMPORTANT: The traffic pattern will be the same as last year. Traffic should come up Cochran Alley to drop off and pick children. Please see the map below to help you navigate. Please do not use Guitner Alley or the Music Alley/Parking lot to access the drop off or pick up route. The parking lot off of Main Street will be used for parents who want to come in to pick up their children. The only fair way to do this is to use Cochran Alley and the outlined traffic pattern. Please be fair to your fellow parents.
· Drop Off is from 8:55 – 9:05 am
· Drop Off helpers will wear bright orange vests, so you know who they are.
· As you wait in the car line, please have your child unbuckled, kissed goodbye, and ready to jump out of the car.
· Drop Off is optional. If you prefer, you may park and walk your child into school as you have been doing.
· If you are running late to school and the Drop Off helpers have left, you will need to walk your child into the building.
· If you are interested in participating in Pick Up, you will need to have a rear view mirror tag. If you do not have one, you will have to wait till you have completed the form and have the tag before you can begin Pick Up. This is for the safety of the children and is very important. Forms to participate in Pick Up have been distributed during meet the teacher. If you need a form, please stop by the office.
· If you are late to your Pick Up time, please plan to pick your child up in the classroom.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions.
The Ourday Staff
Art at Ourday
I would like to share with you a gorgeous picture book that I am using this year with your children. It is titled "Art Is..." and is written by Glenna Kubit. The book introduces the Elements of Art and Principles of Design using famous artworks and examples in nature. We will concentrate on the Elements of Art which are the tools an artist uses to create Art. They are line, shape, form, color, value, texture, and space. We will focus on one or two of the elements in each month's art lesson and activity. I will also be introducing them to famous artists and artworks that relate to those elements. Using this as inspiration, the students will create their very own piece of art. I am looking forward to a wonderful year with your kids!
Being sick is no fun, and missing school means missing out on learning. Use these tips to help your child stay healthy so he can attend school every day:
● Remind him to wash his hands with soap and water before eating and after using the restroom. Tip: You might get soap in fun shapes and colors that he’ll look forward to using.
● Make sure your youngster eats a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables. Also, stick to a regular bedtime that allows 10–12 hours of sleep.
● If your child does get sick, replace his toothbrush and change his sheets after he’s better. Germs left behind could make him sick again.
Note: Ask his doctor when it’s safe for him to go back to school— he doesn’t want to make his classmates sick, too.♥
Ourday is partnering with the Church of Messiah staff this year to conduct Preschool Chapel. Preschool Chapel will be held once a month, September through May. It will be held in our gym and will be approximately 15 minutes in length. During Preschool Chapel the children will be exposed to Christian stories and teachings. You are invited to attend. Please check the website monthly for dates and times. We are excited to partner with the Church to provide this learning opportunity for our children.
Ourday Preschool, established in 1979, is dedicated to providing a quality preschool program in a Christian environment and supporting families in the important years of early childhood.
Ourday Preschool is owned by the Church of the Messiah United Methodist Church and is open to all children in the community. The staff creates a Christian environment. The children say a prayer or blessing before lunch. The children celebrate Christmas and Christian holidays. The Ourday Christmas program includes the story of the birth of the Baby Jesus and Christmas carols. The Ourday staff represents the church in transforming Christian love into action by caring for and teaching children.
- Smaller ratios: Two teachers with only 12 -14 children in each class
- Education: Teachers with Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees, participating in continuing education classes.
- Specialists: Degreed teachers in physical education, music, and art
- More time to learn, more time for fun.
- Serving preschoolers ages 2.5 through 5 years old from 9am to 1pm.