Ourday staff and I welcome all the new and returning parents to Ourday at Messiah Preschool.
An important goal is to make individual contact with the parents of our children, and to communicate the activities of the day and the progress of each child to their family.
We know parents want to be self-guided as well as want the information to make sense according to the parents’ view of information about their child. A couple of obvious structures in our school challenge teacher-parent communication. Now that Ourday is a “true city, uptown school”, we offer drop-off and pick-up to avoid the difficult parking situation for our parents. There is very little face to face communication opportunity for parents, so our staff suggests planning a day each month to come in to the school and ask questions that are important to you about your child’s adjustment, learning, and progress. We use the Ohio State Standards for our goals and assessments and this leads directly into the kindergarten and elementary State Standards. A copy of your child’s age group assessment is provided to parents in the parent packet the first day of school providing the learning goals from the start of the preschool year.
In addition, teachers provide e-mail contacts, phone contacts, and available personal contact so that parents may always reach out to communicate with your child’s teacher. It is good for parents to know that your child’s learning is timely and on track for the age group. Parents are living in an age where electronic communication can leave them feeling that the information about their child is not personal. Ourday staff is working to keep the daily activities, and calendar available to the parents, so you can then have conversation with your child about school. Children may not be the ultimate information source, but preschool is an opportunity to begin sharing about school. Common conversation: “How was school today?” --“I don’t know”---“we played”. Try some specific questions: “What was your favorite book today?---did you learn a new word?---did you play with cars or in the housekeeping area today?” Check out what is in the child’s bag or on your child’s calendar. Enjoy the fun of learning about preschool as this time in your child’s life is fun for families and preschool staff.
Charity Monroe, Director
- August 31 - Parent Orientation - Please see you letter for times
- September 6 & 7 - Meet the Teacher
- September 8 - First Day of Preschool
- September 25 - Drop Off and Pick Up Begin
- September 27 & 28 - Preschool Chapel 9:15
Welcome new families!
Ourday offer preschool classes for children 2.6 to 5 years of age. Most children come two or three mornings per week. We have two teachers in every classroom of 10-14 children. One of the special things about Ourday Preschool is our four hour morning program. In addition to their classroom experiences, the children have music, gym, and art classes. We would welcome the opportunity to meet you and show you our preschool. We currently only have openings for our Friday Mom's Day Out class. If you are interested in more information about that class please contact us at 614-882-4416.
Drop off and Pick Up
Ourday Preschool is pleased to provide Drop-Off and Pick Up service to assist parents and to encourage independence in the children. We will help the children out of their cars at the back door and guide them to their classrooms. This year, Drop Off and Pick Up will begin on Monday, September 25. Here is some information to help you get started:
IMPORTANT: The traffic pattern will be the same as last year. Traffic should come up Cochran Alley to drop off and pick children. Please see the map below to help you navigate. Please do not use Guitner Alley or the Music Alley/Parking lot to access the drop off or pick up route. The parking lot off of Main Street will be used for parents who want to come in to pick up their children. The only fair way to do this is to use Cochran Alley and the outlined traffic pattern. Please be fair to your fellow parents.
· Drop Off is from 8:55 – 9:05 am
· Drop Off helpers will wear bright orange vests, so you know who they are.
· As you wait in the car line, please have your child unbuckled, kissed goodbye, and ready to jump out of the car.
· Drop Off is optional. If you prefer, you may park and walk your child into school as you have been doing.
· If you are running late to school and the Drop Off helpers have left, you will need to walk your child into the building.
· If you are interested in participating in Pick Up, you will need to have a rear view mirror tag. If you do not have one, you will have to wait till you have completed the form and have the tag before you can begin Pick Up. This is for the safety of the children and is very important. Forms to participate in Pick Up have been distributed during meet the teacher. If you need a form, please stop by the office.
· If you are late to your Pick Up time, please plan to pick your child up in the classroom.
As always, please let us know if you have any questions.
The Ourday Staff
"Keep in Touch with the Teacher"
Support your youngster’s education by building a good relationship with her teacher.
Here are tips:
● Find out whether the teacher prefers to be contacted by note, email, or phone. Also, tell her the best way and time to reach you.
● Attend parent-teacher conferences and meetings. But also reach out to your child’s teacher at other times. Send a note thanking her for helping your youngster conquer a challenging skill (holding a pencil correctly, memorizing her address and phone number), and let her know about big changes in your family’s life (new sibling, divorce).
● Visit or volunteer in the classroom or help out from home if you can. You’ll get to know the teacher, and she’ll appreciate the help.♥
Ourday is partnering with the Church of Messiah staff this year to conduct Preschool Chapel. Preschool Chapel will be held once a month, September through May. It will be held in our gym and will be approximately 15 minutes in length. During Preschool Chapel the children will be exposed to Christian stories and teachings. You are invited to attend. Please check the website monthly for dates and times. We are excited to partner with the Church to provide this learning opportunity for our children.
Ourday Preschool, established in 1979, is dedicated to providing a quality preschool program in a Christian environment and supporting families in the important years of early childhood.
Ourday Preschool is owned by the Church of the Messiah United Methodist Church and is open to all children in the community. The staff creates a Christian environment. The children say a prayer or blessing before lunch. The children celebrate Christmas and Christian holidays. The Ourday Christmas program includes the story of the birth of the Baby Jesus and Christmas carols. The Ourday staff represents the church in transforming Christian love into action by caring for and teaching children.
- Smaller ratios: Two teachers with only 12 -14 children in each class
- Education: Teachers with Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees, participating in continuing education classes.
- Specialists: Degreed teachers in physical education, music, and art
- More time to learn, more time for fun.
- Serving preschoolers ages 2.5 through 5 years old from 9am to 1pm.