YOUTH GATHERING is our Middle School Sunday morning option. We meet from 9:30-10:30 a.m. in The Gathering Place which is the Church-owned building directly across State Street from the church. Youth 7-12th grades meet for an opening, food, prayer and announcements then break into smaller age level groups for discussions and games. Our curriculum is from the reThink Group (aka Orange) and it's called XP3. Our current series called "Tis the Season" about finding hope, peace and joy in our sometimes chaotic Decembers.
PUPPET TEAM - Meets every Tuesday starting Aug. 22nd through December We meet from 6:30-8 p.m. in the Gathering Place to learn puppetry skills and prepare two shows. Our next show will be for our 5pm Christmas Eve Service.
YOUTH MUSIC - Choir and Bell Rehearsals Every Sunday - for 6-12th grades. Middle and High School Bells starts at 12:15 p.m. Lunch Break starts at 1:15 p.m. 6-12th grade Choir starts at 1:45 p.m. Bell Ensemble starts at 2:45 p.m.
SPECIAL EVENTS - MONTHLY
G-Night - Hang out at the Gathering Place Thursday, Dec. 21st from 7-8:30 p.m. It's an informal time to gather with good friends, good food, hang out and play games. December's G-Night theme is "Ugly Christmas Sweaters." Wear one if you want.
New Year’s Eve Party – Meet at 4 p.m. on Dec. 31st at the Gathering Place. For 6-12th grades. Bring $20 for ice skating/broomball at the Chiller North and $10-15 for dinner at Steak and Shake in Lewis Center. We return to the Gathering Place for games and to toast in the New Year. Parent pick up at 12:30 a.m. Please RSVP to email@example.com.
Snow Camp – Our yearly winter retreat for 8-12th grade youth is Jan. 12-14th. We will join New Albany UMC again this year at Skyview Ranch near Millersburg, Ohio. Cost is $75 due Jan. 4th. Pay online and email Xema when you do. Checks can be made out to Church of the Messiah with Youth Snow Camp in the memo. Skyview Ranch waiver is also needed. Click HERE for Skyview Ranch waiver.
Winter Jam – Jan. 20th – Save the date for the yearly Christian music festival at the Schottenstein Center. We will buy early entry tickets for 7-12th grade youth.
CONFIRMATION - January through April
In 2018 we will offer Confirmation class for 7th grade and older youth from January through April. The class is for youth who are ready to learn what it means to be committed publicly to Christ and the church. The class meets on Sundays from 2:30 - 4:30 p.m. in the Gathering Place which is across State Street east of the church. The class is led by clergy and lay leaders including mentors who lead the small groups within the class. The experience features various visits to other congregations in the Columbus area, service projects and a Methodist heritage trip to St. Simon's Island Georgia during the 1st part of Spring Break. Registration is required. There will be two Registration Meetings to choose from in November .
- Informational Meetings- parents and youth November 12 or 19 from 2:30- 3:30 pm in The Gathering Place. Choose the date that works best for you. The meetings cover the same information.
- Registrations are due November 30th.
Click HERE for Confirmation Invitation and Information Letter
Click HERE for Confirmation Heritage Trip Flyer
Click HERE for Confirmation Heritage Trip Cost and Registration
Click HERE for Confirmation Heritage Trip Out of Area Medical Form
Confirmation Friend Instructions for Letter Writing:
- A Confirmation Friend is asked to simply write 2 letters of encouragement to the Confirmand that they know. The first letter is due Jan. 31 and the 2nd is due March 31st. You can send both at the same time if that is easier for you. The letters are delivered during class. The letters are to share the role the Bible has had in the Confirmation Friend’s life and to encourage the Confirmand in his/her spiritual journey. This is a great way to get family or friends involved who live out or town. Confirmation Friends can share their favorite verse, story from the Bible or memories of times they had important spiritual milestones.
- Confirmation Friends can be parents, grandparents, siblings, family members or any friend that has an interest in the Confirmand’s spiritual growth. It can also be the Confirmand’s Banner Carrier during the Confirmation service.
- Confirmation Friend’s letters to their Confirmand can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to (Your Confirmand’s name) c/o Xema Whitley – Church of the Messiah – 51 N. State St. Westerville, OH 43081
Middle School Youth
Click HERE for 2017-18 Youth Ministry Information Sheet
Click HERE to view the Middle and High School Ministries Calendar
Click HERE to view the Confirmation Schedule for 2018
To participate in a Messiah-sponsored youth event, each participant must have a Emergency Medical Authorization Form on file. To print out a copy, please click here for a PDF version of the form . The forms are kept on file for a year and are updated each August. They need to be turned in to Xema Whitley or the main office at church. Click HERE for a list of youth with completed EMA Forms turned in for 2017-18.
Our Curriculum called Orange XP3 includes information for parents about what we are talking about during Sunday morning's Youth Gathering events and how you can keep the conversation going with your kids. Click HERE for your PARENT CUE.